Thursday, December 02, 2010

Here are the real stitches

On September 1st I was told that I had to have surgery.  I posted two year ago that I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation but was going to try to beat the odds and go as long a I could go without needing corrective surgery.  (Chiari is a condition where your brain rests on your spinal cord and constricts the flow of spinal fluid.)  Because the spinal fluid is restricted it does not allow for the signals to be sent correctly thru your body.  I suffered from a lot of numbness (from my face, to my hands and legs)   Also chronic neck pain, head rushes and headaches.   It kind of took me out of my art game.  I was told to take it easy and so I did.  I traded my (heavy) silkscreens and wood canvases for fabric and thread.    I took three class at Fancy Tiger and lived at the local fabric stores.

On November 16th I had decompression surgery.  It has been about 3 weeks post surgery and I am doing much better then expected.  I have some serious restrictions.  The main restriction is that I can't lift more then 10lbs., because of that I need a lot of help around the house and doing the things I take for granted, especially with my girls.  I was told to not even lift a gallon of milk.  No dishes, cooking, laundry (that part I really could do without)

After 2 weeks I went to the doctor to get my staples out and when I did they told me I could start getting out on a limited basis. I still don't get to drive because of the pain pills I am on and the limited movement I have in my neck.  All of this and the Holidays!  I suppose all more reason to be thankful this year.  I have an amazing support group of friends and family.  I have meals set up thru January, friends getting my girls to and from school, a friend who walks my dogs, one who brings me starbucks when I need one, and all of them are there for constant emotional support and well wishes.  I am such a lucky girl.

Now that the Holidays are upon us I will try to respond to emails as quickly as possible.  And be able to take order on a limited basis.  Currently my Etsy store is empty but I do have prints available from my website.

My scar & staples 10 days after surgery.

11 Comments:

Blogger michelle allen said...

wow! those are some serious stitches. glad you're okay. i'll pray for a quick recovery for you! hope you can get to art-ing again soon. :)
merry christmas to you and your family.

6:26 PM  
Blogger tangled sky studio said...

best wishes for a slow but steady recovery and the continued support of those around you. your work at the sewing machine is beautiful and inspired...what a lovely result of your "taking it easy" ;-)

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My GOSH! I was just wondering about you and how you were doing the other day! What a scary set of staples!! I'm so happy to hear that things are on the mend, and that you have such an incredible support group! I wish you a peaceful, calm and joyous holiday season.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Artheli said...

My goodness! You are definitely a tough cookie my dear! Those stitches are gnarly. Just found your blog kind of randomly today while doing some research. Love the site - will definitely be coming back frequently!

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
Sarah Treanor
http://12monthscreativity.wordpress.com/

2:25 PM  
Anonymous buy rift account said...

OMG! that was so scary. . hope your doing well now. . =)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Evealushion said...

hope u have a quick recovery
love the picture. im sorry its u.

10:21 PM  
Blogger About Kimchi said...

wow. Thanks for your sharing. Wish you can recover soon and still feel blessing in 2012. :)

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Martis said...

Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information, I am very happy to have found this information that I have been looking for
Obat Kerumut Alami
Obat Tenggorokan
Obat Tumor Parotis
Propolis Brazil Walatra
Cara Menghilangkan Benjolan
Cara Mengobati Kerumut
Cara Tradisional Mengobati Uci uci

2:48 AM  
Blogger Obiuser said...

very interesting information, I really like it because it can add insight for me more broadly, thank you very much for this extraordinary information
Manfaat Tanaman Peterseli Untuk Mengatasi 9 Penyakit Mata, Termasuk Katarak , Obat Benjolan Di Pipi Atau Wajah Tanpa Operasi

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Ahli Kesehatan said...

Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information, I am very happy to have found this information that I have been looking for
cara cepat mengeringkan luka diabetes yang sudah parah
cara mengobati kanker kulit melanoma
obat penambah darah alami
obat alami untuk mengatasi ablasio retina
agen resmi qnc jelly gamat di kudus
cara mengatasi bab berdarah

1:51 AM  
Blogger Lutfi Kurniawan said...

Permission to share information about herbal treatment

Cara Mengatasi Nyeri Tulang Dan Sendi Paling Ampuh
Cara Alami Menghilangkan Rasa Perih Pada Lambung
Cara Mengempiskan Kaki Bengkak Akibat Penyakit Ginjal
Obat Kelenjar Getah Bening Di Leher

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home