Monday, July 21, 2008

back to work . . .

I am back to work. I had a good reason to get hustling this week. My dear friend (and my daughters favorite sitter/superhero/person) Rhaetia was having her going away party saturday night. I had promised artwork, so i had to deliver! I have made some beautiful new backgrounds for screens this week. MAPS! Denver, Chicago, Manhattan and Kansas City so far. I had a beautiful screen done of Denver to use on her piece and while driving home from the studio it RIPPED. This is my first ripped screen and i was just sick about it! I did end up getting it all done. The only photo I got of it - was once I gave it to Rhaetia. The piece is now traveling across country to its new home San Francisco .

it was such nice light when i was working at the studio this week

lining the film up can be difficult- to make a 16x16inch piece i need to line up 4 sheets (then x2)

i make my negs with a double thick piece of transparency laser printer film.

the sad rip in my screen

the newest piece i gave to rhaetia. (i think it was 12x12 - it might have been 10x10) you think i should know.

5 Comments:

Blogger mizu designs said...

Love your maps Lisa! Do you have the photo equipment to make screens like that in your studio? If so I am super envious :)

3:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

well - we have what it takes to make them at home and our studio, but its not fancy photo equiptment. i print the negs on my laser printer (transparency film) coat the screen and then expose it. (its a great rid!) - a wooden table with 2 super strong lights above it. 2 sheets of glass and some lead weights. (oh, and a piece of foam) :)

5:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Kristin Loganbill said...

what a beautiful piece!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lisa, your work is beautiful and inspirational. I was especially excited to read about your process, knowing you make such beautiful work with your laser printer -- I do the laser thing too for my positives...it can be so frustrating lining them up because sometimes the printer heat shrinks the film a bit...great work!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home