Monday, June 22, 2009

Thank you for coming out }

The Summer Art Market this year was anything but DULL!

Friday afternoon the skies were dark and ominous. The clouds seemed to be hanging out to the north, but the entire time we were setting up we were surrounded by lightening. It put us all a bit on edge. At least the rain stayed away while we were working outside.
Saturday morning was beautiful. No clouds, not too hot and we were BUSY. We had some great early sales and it was nice to see some of our favorite returning customers - as well as meet some people. We are also so lucky to have so many good friends stop by to support us - say hi, bring food, beer, keep us company, help out, watch our girls - etc. We couldnt do it without all of you.
Sunday morning was also beautiful - we had no idea what was in store for us. We had moderate sales in the morning - it was off to a slower start, which is to be expected anyway. But at 2PM, right when we should have been starting the rush for the final sales of the weekend (all my favorite sales when someone has thought about a piece they have seen earlier in the show - and they rush back and hope its there, and most of the time they go home with it because it was meant to be, or we find one to make them happy) - instead we were headed for cover from a funnel cloud. The tornado warning sirens went off. Here in Denver that usually means that people go outside to look for a tornado, but this particular time you could see one forming, right above where we were. The girls were with us - so the 3 of us went to the basement of the Art Students League while John stayed behind and packed up the artwork. (watching the skies incase he needed to run for cover) We were down there for about 40+ minutes before we came back up and attempted to remain open for sales. although - in that 40 minutes about 1/2 of the booths had packed up and left. so it wasnt very inviting for anyone to continue shopping. about 330 we started packing it all up. We had about 20 minutes left when the skies opened and we were soaked. It was a steady rain - i have never had an arts festival like this. At the end of it all, we were very pleased that no one was hurt, and that we made the money we were hoping to - to make it a success. Lets hope next year the rain has moved on. (its been like Seattle around here)

Here are some favorite photos:
Setting up Friday

4 mountain dews got me thru saturday.

when they are old enough - they will be amazing helpers and i will pay them well

johns work

pre-tornado warning

wondering just how long the weather would hold out

in the basement with about 80 others (in this section)


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home